The College of Graduate Studies maintains the official graduate student records for the university. Included in this section are listings of documents that will be maintained by the College of Graduate Studies, as well as documents that should be maintained by the programs and colleges. Documents are organized into admission, student services and financial categories.
Please keep in mind that a student's file is a public record, which may be reviewed by the student, department, college, or university for petitions and appeals or for other purposes. Personal opinions, comments, and communications related to the student should not be included in the student's file.
The time limit for document retention for students is:
- Two semesters after the student has graduated.
- One year after the student becomes inactive. Students become inactive when they fail to attend for three consecutive semesters (including summer terms) after having previously enrolled.
- One year after the student has been dismissed or discontinued from the program.
The time limit for document retention for applicants and admits who did not enroll is:
- One year if admission is denied.
- One year if the student is accepted but does not attend.
The College of Graduate Studies maintains the following records for all graduate students and these are available in DocView for each student:
- Applications including readmission and reactivation
- Application supporting documents
- Letters of acceptance
- Letters of denial
- Residency classification forms and supporting documents
Student Services documents
- Petition Forms, supporting documents and Approval/Denial letters
- Plan of Study (POS)
- Advisory committee assignment lists
- Administrative Record Change forms, supporting documents and Approval/Denial letters
- Conditional Retention Plan (CRP) and supporting documents
- eForm submissions (saved as POS)
- Graduate Certificate Completion (Final GPS audit)
- Graduation Certification (Final GPS audit)
- Intent to Graduate Forms
- Academic Probation/Dismissal Letters
- Probation/Dismissal Recommendation Forms
- Name Change/Address Change Forms
- Residency reclassification forms and supporting documents
- Traveling Scholar Forms
- 9-Hour Hold Forms
- Supplemental Assignment Forms
- Financial award letters
- GTA Performance Assessment Forms
- Teaching Qualifications Form - GT Associate 9183
- Application for Parental Leave for Graduate Assistants
- Intent to Return to Assistantship from Parental Leave
Documents that should be retained by the program or college include the following student service documents:
- Contact information (post graduation)
- Exam results (comprehensive, candidacy, qualifying, and final defense)
- Incomplete grade agreements
- Degree audits
- Thesis/dissertation progress notes
- Independent study agreements