Review for Original Work
The university requires all students submitting a thesis or dissertation as part of their graduate degree requirements to first submit their electronic documents through iThenticate for advisement purposes and for review of originality. The thesis or dissertation chair is responsible for scheduling this submission to iThenticate and for reviewing the results from iThenticate with the student's advisory committee. The advisory committee uses the results appropriately to assist the student in the preparation of their thesis or dissertation.
Before the student may be approved for final submission to the university, the thesis or dissertation chair must indicate completion of the Review for Original Work requirement by signing the student's Thesis and Dissertation Approval Form.
Fostering Academic Integrity
The Faculty Center for Teaching and Learning has posted guidance regarding Academic Integrity for university faculty.
Requesting Access to iThenticate.com
For information about iThenticate at UCF, please see the iThenticate section on the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR) website. For iThenticate’s login (set-up) actions and/or system-related questions, thesis and dissertation chairs should contact RCR at email@example.com for guidance.
Request for iThenticate Report
The best practice is for committee chairs to continue to run the iThenticate report themselves and complete the review before scheduling the student’s defense. However, for those who need assistance, the College of Graduate Studies will be available to run the standard Similarity Report for the full text of the document and will send the mhtml file (a portable file that offers limited interactivity) to the chair. The College of Graduate Studies will not review or interpret the report.
To request a report:
- Send all requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requests should come from the chair of the thesis or dissertation committee with the Word or PDF file attached
- If a program staff or student sends the email, the chair must be copied, to confirm the file is ready for iThenticate review
- Following the best practice mentioned above, please send requests for iThenticate reports prior to scheduling the defense and no later than two weeks prior to the defense
Faculty are encouraged to run the iThenticate report and take advantage of the site’s features, as there are distinct advantages to faculty running the reports, including the ability to:
- Select different modes of viewing the data
- Exclude quotes and the bibliography
- Exclude small sources (select word count or percentage)
- Exclude small matches (select word count)